As America’s largest higher education union, United University Professions (UUP) works for you and with you, representing every member with a clear, collective call to improve your personal and professional lives.
From competitive salaries and health benefits to job security, opportunities for advancement and retirement, UUP is here for you. There’s strength in numbers and we’re more than 34,000 members strong on SUNY’s 29 state-operated campuses.
UUP is a unified voice, protecting members rights at the bargaining table and on the job, speaking on behalf of public higher education statewide, nationally and internationally. UUP is the voice of SUNY’s academics and professional employees to the SUNY Board of Trustees, SUNY System Administration, the state’s elected officials and the public.
UUP is the only organization designated to negotiate a contract with New York state on behalf of SUNY’s academic and professional employees. The contract allows UUP to protect your fundamental rights by setting terms and conditions of your employment. Click here to view the contract.
UUP provides benefits to all bargaining unit members, including a range of attractive programs sponsored by our affiliates, New York State United Teachers and the American Federation of Teachers. Benefits include:
- Dental and vision plan coverage* (Part-timer members not eligible for NYSHIP can purchase these benefits at the group rate)
- Scholarship program*
- Free group life insurance
- Free tuition on a “space available” basis
- Discount products and services from: Apple; AT&T; Bally’s Total Fitness; BJ’S Wholesale Club; Enterprise Rent-a-Car; Goodyear; Green Mountain Coffee Roasters; Liberty Mutual; Marabito Fuel; New Jersey Nets; OfficeMax; Sprint; and Verizon Wireless.
*Employee must be eligible for enrollment in the NYS Health Insurance Program.
MEMBERSHIP IN UUP entitles you to:
- Vote on the collective bargaining agreement;
- Attend union meetings;
- Hold union office;
- Elect union leaders on your campus and at the state and national levels;
- Upon separation of service, obtain Associate Membership with NYSUT and be eligible for benefit programs; and
- Maintain membership after retirement and be eligible for benefit programs.